Fri, September 17, 2010
In an interesting move, Syria is cracking down on its religious conservatives to stem threats from radicals. The government is vetting the imams’ sermons, and has transferred 1000 teachers
who wear the face veil to administrative duty. But hey, it’s still legal for men to marry 13 year-old-girls - so things aren’t changing that fast.
For lighter Syrian fare, take a look behind the scenes in on Holly’s recent shoot for Globe Trekker; airing on PBS now.
the high-minded lowdown from holly morris and the diva blog crew
Get the Goods:
shop the bazaar for the book Adventure Divas: Searching the Globe for Women Who Are Changing the World and the documentary series »
- FROM WOMEN'S ENEWS
- COVER STORY: Gender Gap in Schooling Measures Pendulum's Motion »
- Clinton Speaks Out; U.N. Fails Refugees in Chad »
- FEATURE: Cambodia's Sochua Calls for Clinton to Act »
- OPINION: 'Brides' March' Marries Itself to Quest for Safety »
- FEATURE: October Films Offer 'An Education' in Controversy »